Bobby’s Lighter Southern Cornbread Stuffing
By Bobby Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 20
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons, divided canola oil
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 (32 oz) container reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 7 slices oven-dried cubed whole-wheat light bread
- 1 sleeve (40 crackers or about 2 cups) coarsely crushed fat-free crackers
- 2 large lightly beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped or 2 teaspoons dried sage fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon divided salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large for cornbread egg
- 1 for cornbread egg white
Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a large shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion and 1/4 cup broth. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Combine the cornbread, wheat bread and crackers in a large bowl. Spoon the celery mixture over the cornbread mixture. Add the remaining broth, 2 eggs, sage, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, tossing to combine well. Spoon into the dish. Bake, covered, until the stuffing is cooked through, and the topping is browned 50 â 60 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350º. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, buttermilk, 1 egg, 1 egg white and 2 tablespoons oil and pour into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.