Bobby’s Lighter Mushroom Burger
By Bobby Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 4 large cleaned portobello mushrooms caps
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 large slices each cut in half whole-grain peasant bread
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 large cut into 8 slices tomato
- 1 small thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup drained roasted red pepper strips
Preheat grill or broiler.
Place mushrooms in a baking dish or pie plate. Whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until blended. Brush mushrooms with the vinegar mixture; let stand 15 minutes.
Place the mushrooms, rounded side down, on the grill rack and grill until tender, 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Place bread slices on the grill rack and grill until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and rosemary in a small bowl until blended. Brush bread slices with the mayonnaise mixture. Layer half the slices with the mushrooms, arugula, tomatoes, onion and red pepper strips Top with remaining bread slices. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tip: To broil the mushrooms, follow step two. Place mushrooms on a broiler rack and broil 4 inches from heat source, until tender and golden, about 4 minutes on each side.