Bobby’s Lighter Chicken and Rice Casserole
By Bobby DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/2 lb trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces green beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup lowfat milk
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1 (8.8 oz) package cooked long grain and wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup French fried onions
Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the beans; return to a boil and cook until just crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 6 â 8 minutes.
Whisk together the soup and milk in a small bowl. Add the soup mixture to the mushroom mixture, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the beans, cooked chicken, rice and salt. Spoon into the baking dish. Sprinkle the fried onions over the casserole and bake, uncovered, until the casserole is bubbly and the top is golden, 20-25 minutes.