Baked Grits & Greens Casserole
By Bobby DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- ½ pound turkey smoked sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 6 cups firmly packed chopped stemmed kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3½ cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in kale; cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in chives. Remove from heat.
In a medium saucepan, bring 3½ cups water to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits, salt, and pepper. Cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cheese until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs. Pour grits mixture into prepared pan. Top with sausage and kale mixture.
Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.