By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup or apple juice bourbon
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 to 3 peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 juiced lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon plus more for sprinkling ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed shortbread cookies
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons cut into pieces, plus 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 sheets from 1 lb package of frozen dough phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons milk
- caramel sauce
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, pour the bourbon or apple juice over the raisins and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Combine the raisins, apples, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, cookie crumbs, pecans and 2 tablespoons cut butter in a large bowl.
Remove the phyllo dough from the box, unfold, and cover with a damp towel. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush lightly with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing each with melted butter, stacking when done, being sure to keep the unbuttered phyllo covered.
Place the apple mixture on the nearest third of the phyllo stack, being sure to leave a 2-inch border. Gently lift the bottom edge of the phyllo stack to cover the filling and fold the side edges over. Continue to roll the stack away from you until the filling is completely sealed in and the seam is on the bottom. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Pour over the glaze and sprinkle with cinnamon and confectioner’s sugar. Pass warm caramel sauce, to drizzle over the strudel.
For the Glaze:
Mix milk and confectioner’s sugar thoroughly.
*Cook’s Note: If too thick add a little bit of milk. If too thin add a little bit of confectioner’s sugar.