Thyme Mustard Catfish over Black Eyed Pea Cakes
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 4 catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup dry thyme
- 2 cups yellow mustard
- seasoned enough for dredging flour
- 3 cups left over cooked (these are best cooked with ham hock for flavor) black eyed peas
- 1/2 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- enough to bind patties all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Spread mustard and thyme over catfish. For best results marinate overnight. Dust fish with seasoned flour patting off excess. Deep fry until golden brown.
In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork, adding bacon and roasted peppers to mixture. Add just enough flour to mixture to help bind. Season with salt and pepper. Shape pea mixture into 4 patties. Melt butter and oil together in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and brown on both sides until crispy.