Mustard Fried Catfish With Tomato Relish
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 (6 oz) farm-raised catfish fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 zested and juiced lemon
- for frying oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 seeded and minced jalapeño
- 1 zested and juiced lime
Sprinkle the fish with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and place into a deep dish. In a small bowl, combine the mustard and thyme. Mix together and spread onto both sides of the fish. Top with the lemon zest and juice. Put in the fridge to marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat a deep fryer to 350 °F.
In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal and flour together. Sprinkle the crab boil seasoning on top of the fish and dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Place in the deep fryer for 3 to 4 minutes, and then remove to paper towels. Serve with Tomato Relish.
In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, onions, jalapeño and lime zest and juice. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. Yield: about 2 cups.