That’s Amore Soup
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb casings removed Italian turkey sausage
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium (canned) chicken broth
- 2 (14-1/2 oz) cans plus their juices diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup ziti noodles
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf for serving garlic bread
- to taste salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Once hot, add the sausage, onion, and garlic, and sauté until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the noodles and cook for 10 more minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Add soup to bowls and top with mozzarella cheese. Serve with garlic bread.