Tex-Mex Cornbread Salad With Buttermilk Cornbread
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 20
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups sliced mustard greens
- 1 1/2 cups halved green tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese with peppers
- 1 (15.5 oz) can drained and rinsed kidney beans
- 1 (14 oz) can drained and rinsed canned corn
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal mix, 1 cup of buttermilk and egg, whisking until no lumps remain. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely in the pan.
Cut the avocados in half. Scoop the pulp into the work bowl of a food processor. Add the remaining 1 cup of buttermilk, olive oil, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach and mustard greens. Add the desired amount of dressing to the greens, tossing gently to coat. Add the tomatoes, cheese, beans, corn and buttermilk cornbread. Serve immediately with additional dressing if desired.