Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 pound medium to mild breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (28-ounce) bag extra-crispy frozen tater tots, thawed and divided
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese with peppers, divided
- 10 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- chopped green onions, for garnish
- ground black pepper, for garnish
Preheat oven to 35o˚F.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add green onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Transfer sausage mixture to prepared pan; stir in 2 cups Tater Tots and 1½ cups cheese until combined. Spread in an even layer.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; stir in pimientos. Pour mixture all over sausage mixture. Top with remaining Tater Tots.
Bake until golden brown and center set, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with green onion and black pepper, if desired.