Sweet Pea Casserole
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, and cook, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth; stir in peas. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Top with onion rings, and bake 5 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.