Spicy Salmon Cakes With Mango Tartar Sauce
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 1 cup peeled and diced (1 large mango) mango
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon drained and chopped capers
- for frying vegetable oil
- 1 (14.75 oz) can drained boneless pink salmon
- 1 cup (or dry breadcrumbs) panko
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon or to taste cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon plus extra to season the tartar sauce salt
- freshly ground, to taste in cakes and sauce black pepper
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
To make tartar sauce, whisk together the mango, mayonnaise, capers, salt and pepper, to taste, in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Heat 1/4-inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Put the salmon in a medium bowl and break it up with a fork. Add the panko, eggs, parsley, onion, cayenne and salt. Season with black pepper, to taste, and mix well. Form the mixture into 12 cakes and coat them with the cornmeal.
Carefully put the cakes in the oil, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until golden brown; about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Arrange them on a serving platter and serve immediately with tartar sauce.