Smashed Potato Cake
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 1/2 cups divided panko
- 1 large lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a large Dutch oven, combine potatoes and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and mash.
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, 2 cups panko, egg, cheese, bacon, onion, butter, sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Form potatoes into 3-inch patties; dredge in remaining panko.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato patties, and cook, 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown and crisp. Serve immediately.