Sausage-Rice Skillet Casserole
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1 lb country pork sausage
- 2 small diced onions
- 4 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup plus one soup can full of water water
- 4 tablespoons about 1/2 stick butter
- 1 splash beef broth
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
In heavy-bottomed cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skillet) over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon butter, let melt, then add onions and sausage. Sauté for 3 minutes, then add ground sausage and brown for 5 minutes more.
Add the cream of mushroom soup. Fill up the soup can with water and add to pan. Sprinkle the rice over top, add a dash of beef broth and 1/4 cup more water.
Cover with lid and bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes, check and stir. Bake for 20 minutes longer or until rice is cooked and casserole is bubbly.