Recipe from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.
Sausage, Egg, and Potato Breakfast Casserole
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sage breakfast sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (15-ounce) bag frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
In same skillet, cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables from skillet. Wipe skillet clean, and spray with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir in sausage, vegetables, hash browns, mozzarella, half of Cheddar, chives, salt, and black pepper. Pour mixture into skillet; sprinkle with remaining Cheddar.
Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.