By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Recipe from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1¼ teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese,
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme,
- shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, optional, for garnish
- minced fresh thyme, optional, for garnish
In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Remove from pot.
In same pot, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, until rice begins to smell nutty and toasted, about 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring frequently, until nearly all liquid is evaporated.
Add stock, 1 cup at a time, to rice mixture, stirring frequently until most of liquid has been absorbed after each addition. Stir in mushrooms along with last cup of stock. When almost all stock has been absorbed, stir in cheese and thyme. Serve immediately. Garnish with cheese and thyme, if desired.