Irish Lamb Stew
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 3 lb leg of lamb meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large leeks, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 (8-oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups canned beef broth
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Salt and pepper the lamb chunks. In a large ovenproof Dutch oven, sauté the meat in both oils until browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the Dutch oven and set aside.
In the same Dutch oven, sauté the celery, leeks and onions until limp, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, season with the coriander and thyme and add the tomatoes.
Return the meat to the Dutch oven. Add the beef broth, cover and bake until the meat is fork tender, about 2 hours.