Irish Lamb Stew
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 3 lb cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes leg of lamb meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 chopped celery stalks
- 2 large chopped leeks
- 2 large chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 (8 oz) can with juice diced tomatoes
- 2 cups canned beef broth
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Salt and pepper the lamb chunks. In a large ovenproof Dutch oven, sauté the meat in both oils until browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the Dutch oven and set aside.
In the same Dutch oven, sauté the celery, leeks and onions until limp, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, season with the coriander and thyme and add the tomatoes.
Return the meat to the Dutch oven. Add the beef broth, cover and bake until the meat is fork tender, about 2 hours.