Inside Out Sweet Potatoes
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 large egg
- 6 baked and mashed, (see Notes) sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon or bourbon or vanilla extract sherry
- 8 large marshmallows
- for frying canola oil
Preheat oven to 200º
Put the cornflake crumbs in a shallow dish or pie pan. Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Set aside.
Combine the mashed sweet potatoes with the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, flour, orange juice and sherry. Working with your hands, use the mixture to encase each marshmallow, forming a ball. Dip each ball in the egg wash and then roll in the crumbs. Refrigerate while preparing to fry.
Set a wire rack over newspaper or paper towels to cool and drain the balls after frying.
In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 375º.
Fry the balls one or two at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, turning as needed, until lightly browned. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon, and place the drained balls on the prepared rack and in the oven to keep warm while frying the remaining batches. Serve warm.