Hearty Tomato and Italian Sausage Pasta
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (19-ounce) package sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 (16-ounce) box penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
Stir bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, salt, and black pepper into sausage mixture; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and sage, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve over pasta.
Kitchen tip: Spicy Italian sausage, smoked sausage, kielbasa, or bratwurst can be used if you already have any of these on hand.