Gooey Toffee Butter Cake
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 (18.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks one each for cake and filling, melted butter
- 1 (8 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (16 oz) box confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup chocolate or almond toffee bits
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.
Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add 2 eggs, 1 stick butter and vanilla. Dump in confectioner’s sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well. Fold in toffee bits.
Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don’t be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don’t bake it past that point!
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way.