Good Old Country Stuffing
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 loaves dry white bread
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 sleeve crushed saltine crackers
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large chopped onion
- 11 cups divided (or turkey stock) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1/4 stick plus 3 tablespoons butter
- from one turkey turkey giblets
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 pints sliced button mushrooms
- 1 hard boiled sliced egg
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Crumble dried white bread into a large bowl. Add cooked white rice and crushed saltines. Sauté pork sausage. Add celery and onion and sauté until transparent – 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over bread and rice mixture. Add stock – mix, add salt, pepper, sage and poultry seasoning. Add 3 beaten eggs and mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mix for gravy. Add slices of 1/4 stick of butter on top. Pour into greased pan and bake until done – 45 minutes.
Mushroom Giblet Gravy:
Bring stock and giblets to a boil. Add bouillon and 2 tablespoons reserved stuffing mixture. Make a slurry by whisking together the cornstarch and water and add to the boiling stock; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms until browned in 3 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms to gravy with egg and salt and pepper, to taste.