Fresh Fruit Salad with Creamy Custard
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 6 peeled and chopped kiwis
- 2 ripe peeled, cored, and sliced mangoes
- 1 peeled, cored, and chopped melon
- 1 quart hulled and quartered strawberries
- 1 quart blackberries
- 1/2 quart blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the fruit:
Place fruit into a large bowl and toss together.
For the custard:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk and sugar constantly.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly incorporate the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Heat the custard over low heat about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring constantly. (It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer or the eggs will curdle.)
Remove from heat and melt the butter into custard. Add vanilla. Immediately strain the custard into a small bowl. Place in refrigerator to cool.
Drizzle over fruit and serve.