Filet Mignon with Blackberries
By Deen BrothersJUMP TO RECIPE
The Deen Bros. Recipes from the Road
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks (beef tenderloin)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons blackberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh blackberries, for garnish
Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper. In a heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Sear the steaks in the hot oil for 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a serving plate, tent with foil, and let stand.
Using the same skillet, sauté the shallots for 1 minute. Add the red wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Let wine boil until reduced by half. Add broth and blackberry preserves; return to a boil and reduce by half. (The sauce should coat the back of a spoon.) Whisk in the butter. Season sauce with additional salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, drizzle the sauce over the steaks and scatter a few blackberries on the plate.