Crisp Potato Cakes
By Paula Deen
- 4 cups or Chive and Onion Mashed Potatoes, recipe follows left over mashed potatoes
- 2 cups divided panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large lightly beaten egg
- 1/4 cup plus more, if needed vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup softened chive and onion cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, 1 cup panko, and beaten egg. Shape the potato mixture into 3-inch patties. Dredge the patties in the remaining 1 cup panko.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Add half of the patties and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat the procedure with more oil, if needed, and remaining patties. Serve hot.
Chive and Onion Mashed Potatoes:
Boil the potatoes until done. Pour the potatoes into a medium bowl and add cream cheese and butter. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Serve immediately.