Colcannon (Irish Potato Salad)
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 5 russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large thinly sliced shallots
- 1 large halved and thinly sliced leek
- 1 bunch stemmed and coarsely chopped kale
- 1 head cored and coarsely chopped napa cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup tops, chopped green onion
Cut and steam the potatoes until tender. Return to the still hot pot and add 1/4 cup butter, milk, kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Mash together.
Melt the remaining butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and leeks. Sauté until they begin to soften. Add the kale and toss until soft and wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and toss until tender-crisp, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and the remaining pepper.
Mix the cabbage and mashed potatoes together well. Sprinkle with the green onion slices before serving.