Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Cream Filling
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 24 to 30 cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups strong brewed divided coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 (3 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coffee flavored liqueur
- 1 (8 oz) container thawed frozen chocolate flavored whipped topping
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add oil, 1 cup coffee and eggs. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla.
Spoon the batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, for 16 to 18 minutes. Let them cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Spoon Coffee Cream Filling into a squeeze bottle with a long narrow tip. Insert the tip into the top of cupcake and squeeze about 1 tablespoon of filling into center of each cupcake.
Spread the Coffee Butter cream frosting evenly over the cupcakes and garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans, if desired.
Coffee Cream Filling:
In a small bowl, whip the cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Slowly add the liqueur and fold in the whipped topping. Cover and chill.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
Coffee Buttercream Frosting:
In a medium bowl, beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar, beating until smooth, then beat in 1/4 cup coffee.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups