Chicken Cornbread Casserole
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sour cream, for topping
- avocado, for topping
- fresh cilantro, for topping
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Spray a 10-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together chicken, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, cumin, and lime juice.
In another large bowl, whisk together muffin mix, milk, and egg. Stir chicken mixture into muffin mixture until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with toppings.
Kitchen Tip: If you have a favorite cornbread recipe, omit the corn muffin mix, milk, and egg, and stir the chicken mixture into your own cornbread batter; bake as directed.