By Janice WoodJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 1½ cups shortening
- 1⅛ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups cooked and mashed frozen carrots,
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package confectioners' sugar
- juice & zest of 2 oranges
- ½ stick butter
- 1 jar maraschino cherries, drained & halved, for topping
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Cream together the shortening and sugar. Then add in the 2 eggs, then the mashed carrots.
Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and then slowly beat the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
Drop cookies onto greased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
Cream together the confectioners’ sugar and butter.
Stir in the zest and enough juice to reach your desired icing consistency—you don’t want it too runny.
Drizzle icing on the cookies, and top each cookie with one of the maraschino cherry halves.