Bobby’s Lighter Corn Chowder
By Deen BrothersJUMP TO RECIPE
- 3 strips center-cut reduced-fat bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 32-ounce container chicken stock
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-ounce package frozen baby gold and white corn kernels 3 cups
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Spray a large nonstick saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
Add the onion and jalapeno to the saucepan. Cook, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour; cook 1 minute. Add the broth, potatoes, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Add the corn, milk, half-and half. Cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and cilantro; sprinkle with the bacon.