Bobby’s Lighter Chicken Creole Burgers with Bayou Mayo
By Bobby Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small finely chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/4 lb chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 red or green finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 rib finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 3/4 teaspoon divided Creole seasoning
- 4 split whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 8 min. Remove from heat; transfer to a large bowl. Let cool 5 minutes.
Add the chicken and 1/2 teaspoon pepper blend to the onion mixture, stirring well to combine. Shape into 4 (3-inch round) patties.
Spray a nonstick ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the patties and cook, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the side of a burger registers 165 °F, 6-7 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, to make the Bayou Mayo, combine the mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon pepper blend. Serve the burgers in the buns topped with the Bayou Mayo.