Sweet Tea Pie
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 6 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 cups softened and divided unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cooled strong steeped orange pekoe tea
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the crust: In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup butter until well combined. Add 2 1/2 cup flour and mix until the dough forms a ball. Pat the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Chill until ready to use.
For the filling: In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter and sugar at medium speed until light. Add the yolks 1 at a time, beating at low speed until well incorporated. Slowly add the tea. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the 2 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, and salt and mix well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, and then chill for 2 hours before serving.