Strawberry Chocolate French Toast
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 quart hulled and thinly sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons divided sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 (1 oz) squares chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons plus more to garnish confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices challah bread
- 1/4 cup butter
In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar; cover, and chill for 15 minutes.
In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and eggs; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, chocolate, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over one side of 6 bread slices. Cover with remaining bread slices to make a sandwich. Dip sandwiches, one at a time, in milk mixture.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches, in batches if necessary, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Serve topped with sugared strawberries. Garnish with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.