Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
By Deen Brothers
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 5 slices bacon
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 2½ cups)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing, in a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet. Heat the remaining fat over medium-high heat and add the shallots; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the vinegar, desired amount of mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a simmer; remove skillet from the heat.
In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, mushrooms, and onion. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve warm.