Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Orange Salsa Verde
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium finely diced yellow onion
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/2 seeded and finely diced, optional jalapeño
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 picked and finely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 1 1 mixed with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash egg
- 1 jar prepared salsa verde
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce cayenne pepper
Heat vegetable oil in a medium sauté pan, add onions, green chiles, jalapeños, garlic and cumin and sauté until onions are translucent.
In large bowl combine chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Add the onion-chili mixture and mix. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Using a 4-inch ring mold, cut circles from prepared pie dough. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in center of dough. Brush egg wash around circumference of the dough. Fold top half over to form a half circle. Seal with the tines of a fork.
Heat a deep-fryer to 325 °F. with peanut oil. Submerge a few empanadas into oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Cool slightly and serve with Orange Salsa Verde dipping sauce.
Cook’s Note: Make sure to flip so both sides cook evenly.
Orange Salsa Verde:
In a large bowl combine salsa verde, orange juice and cayenne pepper or hot sauce.