Rene Rene’s Homemade Mayonnaise
By Lorene "Rene Rene" Owens
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Servings: Makes approx. 10 ounces
- 2 egg yolks
- juice of a fresh lemon, seeded (you can use bottled juice)
- 1 pint Mazola oil (do not substitute)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a dash of paprika, to taste
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
In a MixMaster (or another stand mixer), beat 2 egg yolks FAST in the small mixing bowl until it begins to thicken.
Squeeze ½ lemon, discarding the seeds, into the mixing bowl, then add the Mazola oil and salt and beat until thick. Add a dash of paprika for color and the 3 tablespoons of boiling water, continuing to beat until it reaches the proper consistency of mayo.
Refrigerate in a jelly jar or a decorative container.
Cook’s Note: This recipe was written in 1956. A Mix Master is an old brand of stand mixer. Be sure to use the smallest bowl of your mixer—believe me when I tell you that the large bowl will not make the mayo!