By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 3/4 cups (not self-rising) cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cut into cubes unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons divided vanilla
- 2 sticks room temperature, for frosting butter
- 8 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 325 °F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
Combine in a bowl both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined for about 3 minutes. Add in 2 sticks of cubed butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
Add eggs 1 at a time until combined. Slowly add milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla to batter until completely mixed scraping down the bowl as you mix.
Scoop batter into baking cups filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
Cool and decorate with Old Fashioned Frosting.
Cream softened butter and add 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat with paddle attachment until smooth gradually add the rest of sugar to reach frosting consistency.