Mushroom Stuffed Baked Red Snapper
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1/2 lb or 1 (8 oz) can stems and pieces fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons divided butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 5 tablespoons minced divided onion
- 1 (8 oz) can drained and chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 2 1/2 lb oven ready gutted, scaled, and cleaned whole red snappers
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Rinse, pat dry, and finely chop 1/4-pound mushrooms. Quarter remaining mushrooms or drain canned mushrooms. Set aside.
In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add celery and 3 tablespoons of the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes. Combine sauteed celery mixture with mushrooms, water chestnuts, breadcrumbs, egg, soy sauce, parsley, and salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon into fish cavities. Secure openings with skewers or toothpicks. Sprinkle both sides of each fish with salt and pepper. Place in a large backing dish. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons onion, the wine, and water.
Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes. Baste occasionally. Test with a fork. When fish flakes, it’s done.