Lighter Vegetable Beef Soup
By Deen BrothersJUMP TO RECIPE
- 1 lb cut into 1-inch chunks lean boneless beef sirloin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb tough stems removed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 lb sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 large cleaned and thinly sliced leek
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 diced celery ribs
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups or fresh frozen sliced okra
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup rinsed pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Paula Deen House Seasoning
- 1/2 lb cut into 1-inch pieces green beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Spray a nonstick Dutch oven with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 5 toÂÂ 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the oil to the Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, leek, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, okra, water, barley, Worcestershire and House seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Add the green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Test Kitchen Tip:
If you use quick-cook barley, add it 10 minutes before the soup is done.