Grandma Hiers’ Southern Carrot Cake
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 cups plus more for pans all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 (8 oz) packages room temperature cream cheese
- 1 stick room temperature salted butter
- 1 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped, divided (optional) pecans
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans; Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add eggs and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, blend until combined. Add carrots and 1 1/2 cups pecans, if using.
Pour into pans. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, place on waxed paper and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
Add cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts. Spread frosting on top of each cake layer. Stack the cakes on a serving plate and serve.