Fried Pork Chops with Tomato Gravy
By Paula Deen
- 4 1 inch thick, 1/2 pound each bone-in center-cut pork chops
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 14.5 can drained diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Lightly sprinkle the chops on both sides with salt and black pepper, sprinkler with the garlic powder. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chops and cook, without moving, until a dark golden crust forms on the bottom of each, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the chops and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Add the butter in the skillet and melt. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Go ahead and reduce the heat if the onions start to brown too quickly. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, then the broth or water. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the tomatoes, Â½ teaspoon salt, and Â¼ teaspoon black pepper. Spoon the sauce over the pork chops and serve up to a hungry family.