Fried Pickled Okra with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1 1/4 cups recipe follows fry mix
- 1 cup beer
- 1 16-ounce jar drained pickled okra
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 1/2 cup self-rising white cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 8-ounce package softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 juiced limes
- 3 tablespoons for garnish chopped green onion
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep skillet or fryer.
Combine the Fry Mix with the beer. Add the okra, coating it in the batter. Fry the okra, about 4 pieces at a time, turning the pieces frequently, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer the okra to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve immediately with the Creamy Chipotle Sauce.
Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Store in an airtight container in the pantry until needed.
Creamy Chipotle Sauce:
Blend the cream cheese, mayonnaise, chipotle, lime juice, and salt in a food processor until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Garnish with green onions.