Double Chocolate Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 sticks butter, melted and divided, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 (18.25 oz) package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (up to 4)
- 1 (16-oz) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly butter a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg and 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter, and stir until well blended. Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside. In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth. Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula. Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.