Creamiest Mac and Cheese
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
- 2 cups (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices American cheese
- pinch optional cayenne pepper
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well and return the pasta to the pot. Add the butter and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the pasta is coated.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, black pepper, mustard powder and cayenne pepper, if using. Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pot and stir. Add the cheeses and continue stirring over medium heat until the sauce has thickened and is very creamy, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.