Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole
By Paula DeenJUMP TO RECIPE
Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine
Recipe from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups Freshly grated Parmesan , divided
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450°.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in stock, wine, and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1 cup cheese, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper until cheese is melted and sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, rice, peas, and parsley. Spoon mixture into an 11×7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.