Bobby’s Lighter Oyster Stew
By Bobby Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
- 1 (16 oz) container oysters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large cleaned and thinly sliced leek
- 4 thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat half and half
- 8 optional multi-grain crackers
Drain the oysters in a colander over a bowl, reserving the liquid. Coarsely chop the oysters; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, 1 minute.
Add the broth and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the stew begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the oysters, the reserved liquid, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook, just until the oysters begin to curl, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the half-and-half; heat through. Serve with the crackers, if using.