I thought I’d died and gone to chocolate heaven the first time I tasted this cake. It’s that rich and decadent. With no flour to dilute the full chocolate impact, I needed only a half cup of sugar to add just the right amount of sweetness. This one is for all you chocoholics out there.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper, and spray the top of the paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whish attachment or with a hand-held mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. Whisk in the sugar until combined. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, one at a time. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture in batches. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let the cake cool for 1 hour before gently releasing it from the springform pan.
Serves 8 to 10
More about Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Recipes All Lightened Up
Paula Deen has lost over 40 pounds and has maintained her weight loss for over two years by swapping out ingredients to reduce fat and calories. Paula’s key to weight loss is moderation and accountability, and one day a week she still enjoys good old southern cooking with biscuits and all. One does not have to give up taste when reducing calories, and these recipes are a testament to that. Paula shares 250 of her favorite recipes lightened up. This brand-new, New York Times best selling cookbook presents lightened up versions of fifty of her classic southern recipes and presents new recipes that cut the calories but not the delicious taste.
The New-York Times Best-Selling cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up, is now available now at Amazon, Costco, Barnes & Noble, Target, and your local bookstores!