I’ve dressed this salad with a lighter version of my scrumptious Buttermilk Green Goddess Dip. It’s one of the salads that went a long way toward turning Jamie into a salad guy. He couldn’t get over how decadent and delicious it was, even though it is chock-full of good-for-you raw spinach and crunchy romaine. And I couldn’t agree more. It feels like a downright treat digging into this plate of greens.
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leavesâ¨2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- To make the dressing: In a food processor or blender, puree the anchovies, garlic, buttermilk, mayonnaise, parsley, basil, scallion, tarragon, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste until smooth and bright green.
- To make the salad: In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, spinach, tomatoes, and cucumber. Pour in the dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
More about Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Recipes All Lightened Up
Paula Deen has lost over 40 pounds and has maintained her weight loss for over two years by swapping out ingredients to reduce fat and calories. Paula’s key to weight loss is moderation and accountability, and one day a week she still enjoys good old southern cooking with biscuits and all. One does not have to give up taste when reducing calories, and these recipes are a testament to that. Paula shares 250 of her favorite recipes lightened up. This brand-new, New York Times best-selling cookbook presents lightened up versions of fifty of her classic southern recipes and presents new recipes that cut the calories but not the delicious taste.
The New-York Times Best-Selling cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up, is now available now at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, and your local bookstores!