This lighter version of my classic macaroni salad features carrots, radishes, and scallions, making it a gorgeous medley of colors. The lemon juice and parsley keep it nice and bright, perfect for spring picnics and summer barbecues. It’s a recipe just made to feed a crowd, so whip up a big batch when you’re expecting guests.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 carrots, grated
- ¾ cup thinly sliced radishes
- ½ cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- ¾ cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain well and rinse with cold water until the pasta is no longer warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, radishes, olives, parsley, and scallions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooled pasta to the vegetables and toss. Pour in the dressing and toss until combined. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Serves 10 to 12
More about Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Recipes All Lightened Up
Paula Deen has lost over 40 pounds and has maintained her weight loss for over two years by swapping out ingredients to reduce fat and calories. Paula’s key to weight loss is moderation and accountability, and one day a week she still enjoys good old southern cooking with biscuits and all. One does not have to give up taste when reducing calories, and these recipes are a testament to that. Paula shares 250 of her favorite recipes lightened up. This brand-new, New York Times best selling cookbook presents lightened up versions of fifty of her classic southern recipes and presents new recipes that cut the calories but not the delicious taste.
The New-York Times Best-Selling cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up, is now available now at Amazon, Evine Live, Barnes & Noble, Target, and your local bookstores!