If you’re like me, you make a list of resolutions and break them by January 4th. I count myself lucky if I’m able to keep three of my resolutions. As I create new resolutions for 2016, I’m reflectin’ on a few of my successful 2015 resolutions:
- Get in shape – I’m very proud that I lost 40 pounds and maintained this weight loss. I’m not going to say it was easy, but once I came to terms that I had developed type 2 diabetes, I knew I had to make some changes. I found that makin’ small changes lead to big results, and I took it one day at a time. I am so proud of my new book, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat, and it is chock-full of lighter. These recipes reduce the fat, sugar, and calories, but not the delicious flavor. Now, my key to life is moderation, so one day a week, I still eat what I want, including Chicken Fried Steak. Never say the word “diet”.
- Try something new – I stepped out of my comfort zone and joined the cast of Dancing with the Stars. I had been asked to dance over the years, but until I lost the weight, I knew I couldn’t participate. At 68 years young, I went for it. I was dancin’ for all the ladies over 40— and competing against 19 year olds wasn’t easy. Thanks to all of you for voting and supporting me. You kept me on for six weeks! I also made some new forever friends on this journey. Kim Zolciak-Biermann and her family may even join me for some fun on the Island in Pigeon Forge, TN, so I might be givin’ Kim a cookin’ lesson at Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen!
- Hug as many friends as possible – It was the first time in a few years that I had a book tour, and it was so good to meet and chat with all of you. Your stories inspire me. Thanks for all who waited in long lines. It is my goal to look each of you in the eyes and thank you for your support. I’m lookin’ forward to more fun visits with y’all!
I’ll share only a couple 2016 resolutions:
- Spend more time with family – Thankfully, Michael was by my side for most of 2015, including eight weeks in LA for Dancing with the Stars and during my book tour. Jamie, Bobby, Michelle, and our grandsons, Henry and John, made the trip to LA to visit, which was a wonderful surprise. Now in 2016, I want to spend more time with my family at home, especially my five grandsons who are growing up so quickly and miss their “Guinny.”
- Save the animals – I love my pets, and for 2016, I want to help raise awareness of pet adoption and help support local shelters.
- Bonus resolution – I need to clean out my closet and donate to a woman’s shelter. This one should be easy, right?
I’d love to hear your resolutions, and I wish you all the best of luck in keeping even three. I’m wishin’ you and your loved ones a happy and healthy New Year. I’m continuing my book tour for Paula Deen Cuts the Fat in this year, and I’ll stick with my resolution of meetin’ and thankin’ as many of you as possible. Check my book tour page, and let’s make it a date!