Have you ever noticed how everything you do first thing in the morning has a huge impact on the rest of your day? If you wake up, have coffee, a greasy breakfast, and then go sit on your desk for 8 hours straight, you may feel like your mood is not the best; maybe you feel a bit bloated and even start craving more greasy food and/or sweets throughout the day.
This is normal, and if you haven’t really noticed, pay close attention tomorrow when you wake up. The truth is that we own our bodies, and we can control most health issues that may arise by giving our bodies the necessary nutrients that it’s asking us for.
That’s why starting the day by giving yourself some love is crucial to live a happy and healthy life. Here’re some tips that you can incorporate into your daily routine that will make you glow from the inside out:
1. As soon as you open your eyes, do a 5-10 meditation session. This can be a prayer thanking the Creator for a new day of life, a few sun salutations, or a guided meditation through an app.
2. Then head to the kitchen and have a tall glass of water. This will help hydrate your body, getting it ready for the food you’ll put in it next.
3. Afterwards, sip on a cup of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. Even though their taste is acidic, lemons are alkaline and help regulate the PH of the body. They help with the necessary detoxifying process of our organs and also help to clear up our skin.
4. Then reach out for some fruits and/or veggies. Try having a green smoothie or juice. If you’re not into blended produce, just grab a piece of fruit or mix different kinds for a colorful salad.
5. Wait at least 20 minutes before enjoying your breakfast. In this meal, incorporate food with high nutritional value. Your body has been fasting for hours, and it’s ready to absorb all the nutrients you put in it, so choose wisely. Go for sprouted grain bread with natural nut butter and berries, plain oatmeal with nuts and banana, or an avocado smashed with brown rice cakes.
6. If you’re a coffee drinker, enjoy a cup! You don’t want to wake up your body with a kick of caffeine in the stomach, so this would be a good place to incorporate it. Plus, it will help you digest your food.
Include these steps into your daily routine and you’ll feel cleaner, more energized, and in a better mood… I promise!
Claudia Deen is a Certified Health Coach based in Savannah, GA, and the founder of The Trendy Smoothie. Claudia is a brown belt in karate, thirteen-time half-marathon finisher, seven-time marathon finisher, and two-time Ironman 70.3 finisher. After a career in advertising, her passion for fitness and fresh eating led to a career centered on helping others achieve a healthier lifestyle. In 2013, Claudia married Paula’s son, Bobby. You can follow Claudia on her blog, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.